St. Mary's Lighthouse
is on the tiny St. Mary's Island
, just north of Whitley Bay
on the coast of North East England
. The small rocky tidal island
is linked to the mainland by a short concrete causeway which is submerged at periods of high tide.
While it no longer functions as a working lighthouse, it is easily accessible (when the tide is out) and is open to visitors and has a small museum, a visitor's centre, and a cafe.
The lighthouse and adjacent keepers' cottages were built in 1898 by the John Miller company of Tynemouth
, using 645 blocks of stone and 750,000 bricks. It was built on the site of a monastery
where a small sanctuary light would have acted as a guide to passing ships. The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1984.